Audio blog with links to great live tracks from great live bands.

Friday, November 11, 2005

Did someone say "God Street Wine"???

I figured I'd do a little snooping around to find out a little more about the openers for the World's Most Anticipated Shows next weekend here in El Gran Apple. I came up with this:

"Caffeine Nation" - Dr. Uhall, 7/7/05 New York, NY

And the verdict is....Eh. It appears to me like Umphrey's appearance on the pages of The Rolling Stone is starting to smack bands across the kisser. But it also seems like our little scene is going through some nostaligia of our own. Dr. Uhall sounds to me a little like a band we old-timers used to call "God Street Wine" (who the old-timers before US used to call "Steely Dan.") On top of that, listening to TLG a lot recently has me thinking that at times, those dudes can sound like that old-school Phish that hooked a lot of us in '92-'93. Tell me what you think:

"Zoom Zoom" - Tea Leaf Green, 1/10/04 Tahoe City, CA

Check out more Dr. Uhall here.

And do your ears a favor by downloading the whole TLG show here.

3 Comments:

Blogger Ace Cowboy said...

God Street Wine is one of my favorite bands ever...LOVED those guys. I hear Lo is playing in NYC soon...

4:31 PM

 
Blogger WeightStaff said...

I'm also a huge fan of GSW. Saw them a few times back in the day. If there is any jamband from the past that I'd love to see get back together, its definitely God Street Wine.

They've got some shows up on archive.org: http://www.archive.org/details/gsw1994-10-27.shnf

DL
theweightonline.com

6:41 PM

 
Blogger Ripple said...

I saw God Street wine in Ithaca years ago... they were great

Check out this cat in nyc...
www.myspace.com/mikedelledera

Kind of reminds me of Steely Dan, Tea Leaf, MMW mix or something or that nature. Fun stuff.

11:46 PM

 

Post a Comment

<< Home