Audio blog with links to great live tracks from great live bands.

Friday, September 09, 2005

Etree

I love etree. When I have the time, I hit it up four or five times a day. I sift thru it. I study it. I find it fascinating. I find myself spending an inordinate amount of time wondering about things like "Who really needs every single Indigo Girls show from the past 15 years? Did their shows really vary that much? Did they have any other songs other than 'Closer To Fine'?" But that's what's so great about etree. You can get all sorts of questions answered. (Apparently, the IG's DID have more than one song. Ditto for Blind Melon.)

But my favorite part of etree is checking out which bands get downloaded the most. The usual suspects are there: Phish, Dead, Dave, etc. With these bands, as soon as a new show gets posted - either from the previous night or one from the archives - almost immediately there are upwards of 25-30 seeders. But then there are the other bands, coinicidentally posted in a section that etree calls "Other." (Makes sense). I love checking these bands out. Sometimes just for the names (e.g. Electric Apricot). Sometimes for nostalgia (e.g. Allgood). And sometimes for the novelty (e.g. Joss Stone!). Then there are the times when there is a collision between a large amount of seeders with a band that falls into the "Other" category. And that's why I decided to download a Dire Straits show recently.

"Sultans Of Swing" - Dire Straits, 6/20/92 Bedfordshire, England

Like most people who grew up in the 80s, I know a little about Dire Straits. It was called "Brothers In Arms." As I got older, I learned a little bit more. It was called "Sultans Of Swing." And that's where I really was able to appreciate the briiliance of Mark Knopfler, who is truly a great musician. I found this show under "Other" and saw that it was being seeded by about 30 people. I figured, what the heck? I'll check it out. And you know what? It's damn good. I find myself listening to it a lot. It rages at times. It's bluesy at times. And sure, it borders on "smooth jazz" at other times. But it always comes back to Knopfler's amazing guitar work. He's so underrated that sometimes he makes me want to punch Clapton in the face.

Try downloading the show here.

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home