Audio blog with links to great live tracks from great live bands.

Wednesday, January 25, 2006

harDCore

I have been pretty vocal to people who'll listen to me about Umphrey's McGee. If I had to grade them on a scale from 1 to 10 (with 10 being WSP/Phish and 1 being New Kids On The Block/String Cheese Incident), I'd give them about a 6.5. I'd say about every fourth song/jam I hear them play gets my toes a-tappin'. And 9 times out of 10, that song is a cover. To quote Brian Fontana, "60% of the time, it works EVERY time."

Which brings me to today's post. I gre up in the mean suburbs of Washington, DC where DC Hard Core ruled. Welll, it did if you hung out at surf shops, watched skate videos, and ate Double Stuf Oreos until your blood sugar rose to Richard Simmons-type levels. Now, I'll admit, I was never the biggest DC Hard Core guy, but when a friend of mine played Fugazi for me, I was hooked.

"Waiting Room" - Fugazi

Umphrey's does a pretty good cover of this as usual, although, I'd still prefer Ian McKaye singing it any day over Brendon.

And if you don't have Fugazi's seminal album, "13 Songs," well, shame on you and your jamband-centric mind.

3 Comments:

Blogger Justin said...

Definitely Fugazi's hit...

I was pleased as punch when I saw that UM started covering that...

My other UM favorite covers:

Big Bottom (spinal tap)
Breathe (floyd--i know, i know, floyd, but UM really nailed this on NYE)...
YYZ (rush)

1:35 PM

 
Blogger Justin said...

Oh, and thank you for the excellently placed Brian Fontana reference...

"it's made from real panthers, so you know it's good..."

Still my favorite part of that movie...

I mean, I could keep going...

"time to musk up..."

1:37 PM

 
Blogger Maddie said...

Hi, I came across your site and wasn’t able to get an email address to contact you. Would you please consider adding a link to my website on your page. Please email me back.

Thanks!

Madison
maddie0147@gmail.com

9:14 PM

 

Post a Comment

<< Home